Are Grocery Shelves Empty By You?

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
ABC News tonight said that Proctor & Gamble just announced that as they had warned everyone previously they had to raise prices, (which they did,) they now have to raise them again, and that their may be shortages on their products, which include Tide Detergent, shampoos, soaps and toothpastes, etc.

It's not just supply issues of already made items. Many manufacturers are having problems getting raw materials to make their items. Asia, then Europe shut down way before we did, so that caused one kink in the supply chain. And while the U.S. is currently discussing which vaccination shot we can get as a third (booster) shot, many third world countries, where a lot of the raw materials are harvested, aren't even able to get first shots yet. They aren't rushing back to work in what were already unsafe, hazardous conditions for other reasons.

This is a big part of the supply chain problem from what I've read. A lot of the ports in Asia are having to shut down regularly due to outbreaks....etc. There are rolling shutdowns in factories and also a shortage of raw materials in places like China. There are also energy shortages and rolling blackouts happening around the world, particularly in China right now.

My husband put together a big order for cleaning supplies, toiletries, TP...etc with Amazon last weekend because we don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find the items you mentioned above. With all of the stories in the news these days about the supply chain issue and sparse/empty shelves in stores, it's going to change behavior. I really hope it doesn't get too bad.

fla4fun

DIS Veteran
Thanksgiving food might get interesting this year...
I have been buying a few thanksgiving items each week, just to make sure I don’t have issues. I have everything I need now but the turkey. I have a small turkey in my freezer I could use in a pinch, but would like one about double the size if possible. I plan to go out looking tomorrow or Friday, just in case.

I have jury duty the beginning of November, so that’s another reason I wanted to get a jump on it. The courthouse is a 50 mile round trip, and the summons says to plan on serving for a week, so that won’t leave a lot of time for errands.

I went to the store this morning, and they were out of fresh chicken in any form, and out of saltine crackers, which I thought was interesting. Otherwise, I did not notice any issues. It could be that they just hadn’t stocked the chicken cooler yet, as they were stocking the beef cooler when I was there (I went when they first opened).

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Yeah, some stuff is out of stock be me. Tp, paper towles. Costco has imported stuff to the usa from canada, or diverted it. My paper towels are now labeled in french. Other stuff you dont see is how the shortage effects bigger issues, like spare parts for cars, alarm systems, etc. We had extensive flooding here last month and people can't get parts to fix things. So its not grocery store related, but its real enough to effectively make your life miserable.

Minnesota!

Shoeless in Minnesota
Here’s a question for the group … would you be willing to pay potentially higher prices for goods if those goods were manufactured in the United States (or Canada) rather than overseas? Just curious.

Absolutely! And, I would pay more ANYWHERE to ensure the workers had insurance, a living wage, and were treated well.

Kay7979

FANTASY NOVEL AUTHOR
So far groceries in Western NY have not been a problem, but after what we went through in 2020 we’re in the habit of having a small garden and keeping a reasonable amount of food in the freezer.

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
No, I can't say our shelves are empty. I can always get plenty of food and other products; however, fairly often I can't get something I wanted. For example, last week I couldn't get my husband's favorite crackers -- but other brands were available. Sometimes the bread aisle is skimpy. Other times yogurt will be non-existent. My favorite diet soda is often missing from the shelves, so I'm trying to stay stocked up. The whole thing is unpredictable, but -- as I said -- I can always get something. Maybe just not what I had intended to buy.

TwoMisfits

DIS Veteran
I will say, my last 3 Aldi's trips, they were out of all the 1lb lunch meat tubs and the smoked salmon...this was annoying...I'm going again this weekend, but if it's still gone, that's more than just folks buying it out before me, b/c I've been on 3 different days of the week at 3 different times...

Sinder

DIS Veteran
Found the kitty litter I needed. Noticed the rice section of the aisle was pretty empty.
That was the only thing I noticed that had multiple shelves completely bare, and there was a section of dog treats too but it looked like one specific brand (and it wasn't due to it being on sale).
Now I'm off to the wine and liquor store, I figure I'll stock up on stuff just in case.

taterheads

DIS Veteran
Some are a little sparse and you have to be flexible on brands or flavors/ smells within brands but there is usually always something that will work as far as groceries. You just can't be picky. Where we are seeing shortages is in areas of appliances. Takes as long as a month and a half to get some appliances because theyre unavailable. Parts is the same issue. The biggest issue where I live is staff shortages. Many businesses closed or unpredictable schedules due to lack of staff. Like it is becoming a regular occurance for many places, especially restaurants and retail. If they are open it is long waits and you need to be prepared for that because it's sometimes double of what it used to be to get service.

leeniewdw

DIS Veteran
There have been random things that don't seem available (I have looked for the bottled Starbucks Sugar Free Frappuccino for a year I think, lol. Maybe the just stopped making it) and occasionally caffeine free diet coke is not there. I can't think of a single thing (short of paper and cleaning products in Spring 2020) that we buy that we haven't been able to. But we don't 'have kids at home any more so it's just the 2 of us and we buy differently than a family I imagine.

anjuan

DIS Veteran
I ordered a specific Bosch dishwasher in March because I have a smaller kitchen and need a smaller model. They extended the timeline on it once, and then I was told it would come this week. I still don't have it.

Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Onion Boy.
I will say, my last 3 Aldi's trips, they were out of all the 1lb lunch meat tubs and the smoked salmon...this was annoying...I'm going again this weekend, but if it's still gone, that's more than just folks buying it out before me, b/c I've been on 3 different days of the week at 3 different times...

We're full up on tubs here. It's the packages (no tub) of Ham and Turkey we're out of. We're low on canned fruit and low on store brand soup but Campbell's is on the shelf instead of Aldi's. Everything else was nearly full up including smoked salmon..... Yummmmmmmmm. Paper products were full up. Which the way our Aldi stocks them, means they have quite a lot. They had plenty of Turkeys too. Although it was 15 pound and above. None of the small ones in yet or if they were there, they got snatched. I am waiting on their delicious hams which I'm sure will go very fast once they get em.

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Chugging along the path of life
Found the kitty litter I needed. Noticed the rice section of the aisle was pretty empty.
That was the only thing I noticed that had multiple shelves completely bare, and there was a section of dog treats too but it looked like one specific brand (and it wasn't due to it being on sale).
Now I'm off to the wine and liquor store, I figure I'll stock up on stuff just in case.
We got 1 more 35lb pail of cat litter 2 days ago, they didn't have the unscented kind but that's always been kinda hit or miss. My husband said the Walmart wasn't too too low on cat litter. Glad you got yours!

TwoMisfits

DIS Veteran
We're full up on tubs here. It's the packages (no tub) of Ham and Turkey we're out of. We're low on canned fruit and low on store brand soup but Campbell's is on the shelf instead of Aldi's. Everything else was nearly full up including smoked salmon..... Yummmmmmmmm. Paper products were full up. Which the way our Aldi stocks them, means they have quite a lot. They had plenty of Turkeys too. Although it was 15 pound and above. None of the small ones in yet or if they were there, they got snatched. I am waiting on their delicious hams which I'm sure will go very fast once they get em.

It's like they are sending different product to different stores to keep 1 type of the product there:)...I have resorted to buying the "thick ham slice" sliced hams for the kids, which isn't quite as desired by them...and buying myself more regular salmon as dinners to have as leftover for a few lunch rice bowls (vs my bagel smoked salmon lunch:))...

But fingers crossed b/c I'm heading out soon that the tubs are back:)...

NEWS / UPDATES